FIELD WORK – JOIN US!
We are always looking for volunteers from May through October!
During September, and October, NCF offers field work volunteer sessions each week on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10 am to noon.
Please sign up online for shifts at Field Work Schedule Registration. Registration closes 24 hours before start of session.
Before coming, please always check our Facebook page for last minute changes due to weather or operational needs. Thank you!
- FARMING IS HARD WORK! – Newton Community Farm welcomes members of the public to get a sense of what farm work is like by joining us for our volunteer sessions from May through October. Newton Community Farm is a working farm and our volunteers do real and often hard work, so please be mindful of the following expectations:
- You should be in good physical shape and be prepared to lift, kneel, bend and squat.
- You should come prepared to get wet and/or dirty and to work in varied weather conditions (bring appropriate rain gear, sun hat, sun block, water bottle, etc.).
- All participants must be able to take verbal instructions and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- We ask that you arrive for volunteer sessions 5-10 minutes before the session begins and plan to stay for the whole session. Having people coming and going at other times disrupts the flow and creates added work for our staff
- REGISTER – To come to field work volunteer sessions please sign up at Field Work Schedule Registration. Signup enables our farmers to assign volunteer tasks that are meaningful to both volunteers and the Farm. Registration closes 24 hours before the start of the session.
- SESSIONS –
- During May, June, September, and October, NCF offers field work volunteer sessions each week on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10 am to noon.
- During July and August, we only offer one session per week on Saturdays from 10 am to noon due to the large number of high school interns and education programs in the field on weekdays.
- Please arrive abit early and stay for the entire session.
- All sessions are intended for adults and older children (children ages 10 to 13 accompanied by a parent; children 14 years or older without a parent).
- Sometimes NCF will cancel a session on short notice due to inclement weather or operational needs so please check NCF’s Facebook page before coming.
- WAIVERS – Each volunteer is required to complete a liability waiver form for the calendar year. Click Newton Community Farm Field Work Liability Form 2017 to download the form.
- GROUP OPPORTUNITIES – Newton Community Farm is a small, working farm. While we welcome group visits from various kinds of organizations, these visits require staff time to coordinate, organize and run. To cover the cost of the visit and ensure a high quality experience, we offer a fee-based educational program for groups wishing to come to the farm. If your group is interested in visiting Newton Community Farm, please contact our Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.